Friday, August 7, 2009

Oh, So-o-o Good!

I had a major "snack attack" this afternoon. Wandered around the house wondering what would satisfy the cravings. No, it wasn't PMS - I'm well beyond that age. But it was a craving none-the-less. I found this recipe on the back of the Baker's unsweetened baking chocolate package, which is the only chocolate I can keep in the house. I already ate all the sweetened and semi-sweetened stuff. Oh my! They are just sinful. You're gonna love them. The hardest part was putting the dough in the fridge for an hour while it got to a workable consistency. I speeded that up a bit by setting the bowl in a pan of ice water. Okay, so I was really in a hurry. But they are definitely worth the wait.

Soft & Chewy Chocolate Drops
4 squares Baker's Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks butter)
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2-1/2 cups flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Microwave unsweetened chocolate and butter in large microwavable bowl on HIGH 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add sugar; mix well. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Add flour; mix well. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle. Shape dough into 1 inch balls; place 2 inches apart, on greased baking sheets. Bake 8 min. or just until set. Do not overbake. Let stand on baking sheet 1 min.; transfer to wire racks (I just put them on a dish). Cool completely. Makes 5 doz. or 30 servings, two cookies each. (Bet you can't each just 2!)

They suggest a glaze which is made by placing 1 tub (8 oz.) frozen whipped topping like Cool Whip and 6 squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate in a microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1-1/2 min. or until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is shiny and smooth, stirring after 1 min. Let stand 15 min. to thicken. Spread over cookies. Let stand until glaze is set. I didn't use the glaze for several reasons. 1) I didn't have any Cool Whip, 2) I didn't have any semi-sweet chocolate (see aforementioned reason), 3) I didn't want to wait that long to eat them, and 4) I figured with 6 squares of chocolate added to the already 4 squares in the cookie recipe I'd have such a chocolate high I'd have to be rushed to the hospital for an injection of Narcan!

4 comments:

Maggie said...

guess I'll have to try making these myself...look yummy!

Anonymous said...

how about rolling them in powdered sugar before baking? (just to top things off)

Cheryl said...

They look wonderful, I can't wait to try them!

Melanie said...

Seriously, I don't think it is POSSIBLE to OD on chocolate. At least I've never been successful. I'll have to try these cookies with some chocolate milk and see if I get close.

:)