Saturday, May 26, 2012

Best Laid Plans

Plan for Friday - give Talon, the horse, a bath and grooming to get him all prettied up for the 2 day riding clinic in VT Saturday and Sunday, also do some more trailer loading practice. Actual day - trailer him 1 1/2 hours away so vet can stitch up his face after he impaled himself on the horse trailer and slashed open the side of his jaw. He loaded beautifully earlier this week so I wanted to do more practice yesterday. He freaked! I remained relatively calm till I saw his face gushing blood, then I freaked! A very good friend came over with her big stock trailer (picture barn on wheels), assured me it wasn't that bad and he wasn't going to bleed to death, drove us to the vets and waited several hours with me till the vet could fit him in for emergency surgery to sedate him and stitch him up. I'm sure my friend had plans of her own on a beautiful Friday afternoon.

Now to estimate the cost - The weekend clinic was $150, then figure the cost of a 4 hour round trip both days, snacks on the road and lunch at a restaurant. The vet bill was $252.68 to be exact and a 3 hour round trip, no snacks. According to my calculations the clinic plan would have been more expensive, but also more fun. Talon won't be able to wear a halter or bridle for at least a month until his face heals as the gash is right where the bridle sits just above his mouth. But when it does heal we need more trailer practice! 
Please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you.

1 comment:

Tonia said...

Oh No I hope it heals fast!