Saturday, April 9, 2011

Window Garden

A few months ago I decided to see what would grow in the winter months in my south facing windows. I also decided to try hydroponic gardening rather than take up room with soil containers. I completely automated the system since I was leaving for a week for vacation. The nutrient solution pumps in the top, drains out the bottom and is on a timer to come on for 15 minutes, 3 times a day. The growing medium is 4 parts perlite, 1 part peat. As you can see, I came home to a jungle! I'm really amazed at the growth from hydroponics using just natural light in the windows. I didn't take a picture of the strawberries but they're looking just as good and are starting to blossom. And I've been eating snow peas for weeks now.
Beet greens growing in a window box.
Buttercrunch lettuce in a 20 oz. plastic Dixie drink cup.
Summer Squash - note the blossom on the left. If you look closely you'll see loads of buds.
Cherry tomato in a 1 gallon bucket. Buds are starting to appear. 
Kale and Swiss Chard. The cabbage on the left looks like it just might form a head.
Please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow! I'm jealous ;)

Carol............. said...

Whoa......I must give this a try.

Thanks...another thing for me to get interested in! LOL