Thursday, January 15, 2009

Building Our House

Kitchen:
We bought our house in the summer of 2001. We had been looking for land to build a house. What we found was a little over 50 acres with a house that someone else had started to build. It was just an insulated shell but if you looked at my original floor plans of the house we wanted, you'd think this was the one. People ask me what kind of house I have and I answer that it's an "except for" house - every room is done except for this or that. Actually, as a decorating style I'm going for the unfinished look - it's the first time I've totally pulled off a decorating scheme. We're now on year 9 of our 5 year plan. But everything is down to just needing finish work - window and door trims, real countertops in the kitchen instead of just plywood, wide pine flooring, finishing the stairs, putting the deck off the 2nd floor bedroom, all of which are time consuming, important but not essential. My guess is that the next person to own the house will have to finish it themselves. Here are a few before and after photos. I'll try to post some outside pictures tomorrow.

Great Room:

5 comments:

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Your post is so refreshing! I'm still laughing about being on year 9 of the 5 year plan ~ LOL Oh that sounds like me!

Your home is lovely and I so enjoy your animal friends in your sidebar. What fun! I'm hoping we can increase our little group this year too.

Blessings,
Lea

Peggy said...

I thought we were the only family on that schedule! LOL

Anonymous said...

First time here and I will be back. You made me laugh...too funny and too close to home! ha he he
Judi

Melanie said...

Wow! Looks great! I'm guessing you don't have 2 year olds hanging out there;)

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

Hopefulone - Nope, didn't have any 2 yr olds running around when I took the pictures. But I do get grandkids enmasse, sometimes 7 or 10 kids at a time, all running amuck. Boy does the house need a good cleaning after that! When we have lots of grandkids visit we try to do it in the summertime so they can trash the outdoors. Maybe you can actually come visit sometime with all your crew. Would love to have you.