Friday, June 18, 2010

9 New Additions

We have 9 new additions to our family. I found them sleeping under a tree this morning so I have no idea when they were born. But I did find Remi, our female Great Pyrenees LGD in that area a few days ago. She's never jumped the electric fence before and I thought it was strange that she was in that pasture. I thought perhaps a predator was threatening that area and she braved the fence. Maybe she just wanted to be the midwife. This morning I wisely waited till mama was off foraging before I crept in to take baby pics. 

Meanwhile, I found poor daddy banished to another area of the woods.

Please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you.

6 comments:

Delirious said...

That is beyond cute!

amyb said...

Oh, Sandy, thank you for sharing this with me. How wonderful! They are absolutely adorable.

Will a pig stay in a horse pasture? I hear they root out all sorts of nasty plants...I wouldn't mind putting one in with my horses if it might work.

Love you,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Congrats Sandy - very exciting discovery! Glad to hear all are doing well.

Darlene

Carol............. said...

They're all cute but I have my eye on the spotted one!

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

Probaby not Amy. Horses and pigs usually don't like each other. But pigs do make great pets and are easy to fence so rotating one through pastures behind the horses is a great idea. They spread the manure and work it into the soil, eat bugs and plants the horses don't eat, etc. I know lots of people who do that and it works well. You just can't leave them in an area too long. That being said, I know someone who does have a pig and horse together, and someone else who grazes his pigs right alongside sheep.

Andrea said...

So Sweeeet!